Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Updatin'







This is how most of my patients arrive... In Style!!




Hello Supportive Community of Family and



Friends -
Boy, am I in it now! There is no looking back! Two weeks into doctorhood and it feels like a lifetime. I will spare the gruesome details, but in general, each of my call days consists of: 1) dude +/- beer, riding motorcycle and hits a deer (three so far -always looks like the deer wins) 2) drunk dude + poor decision making + car + pole = braindead badness 3) half-dead dude with no chance of survival sent to University so we can finish the paperwork 4) drunk dude hit with sledgehammer. I have started to call it "social disease" - since these things happen to a very specific population. In fact, it has heightened by interest in the correlation between trauma and unempolyment, since many parents tell me "he was doing so great, then he lost his job, then he started drinking and being irresponsible".






He will mess you up!!



Otherwise I pretty much have no life. I slept about 16 hours on my day off. Today, I ventured to Target which was a big step for me. Before my rotation started I was worried which weekend day I would get off (Sat or Sun), haha, funny story, my day off can only be a Mon-Thur. So yes, I work every weekend for two months, it's great.


Not to be too pessimistic, I actually enjoy taking care of the patients and families. The nurses are the top of the line. In fact, patient care is the highlight of my day. The intense pains and agony come from dealing with the surgery team - transiently incompetent, disorganized, and arrogant to boot. They make things about 100 times more miserable than they should be. It is a punitive environment where a bunch of surgeon types are all positioning to establish themselves as the dominant, omniscient demi-god they have always thought they were. I am like an anthropologist in some chimp colony. They make a bunch of sounds and movements while I try to discern what they are really communicating to us regular folk. So, this set of mammals will move on at the end of the month and I hope that situation will improve. All in all, my plan is working, because I am completing this obstacle without missing any Aggie or Spurs games - because that would just throw this one over the top.

So, tata for now, I am on call again tomorrow. Thank you for all of the support. David dutifully keeps my scrubs washed and folded, and my in-laws graciously bought us a new water heater and room air conditioner. So, a hot shower and cold room post call! Awesome!
Love, Becky
PS CONGRATULATIONS MICHELLE!!


No comments: